The Nut House has moved to a new url. Please update your bookmarks and links and come check us out!


Monday, November 2, 2009

Keeping on Top of House Work, all You Need is One Hour a Day

If you have kids, you know how hard it can be to keep up with the housework. There is always something more to be done and always a little some one right behind you to make more work. Having a clean house in is not something to stress over, but a messy house can add stress to your already busy day. You do not have to be a clean freak or have OCD to keep your house clean. Cleaning your house every day can be done before your day really even begins, in fact it can be done by 9am if you do it right.

Having a clean house without too much work starts early, especially if you have kids to get ready for school. I am up between 6 and 7am everyday, whether I like it or not. In the long run, this is the main thing that keeps my house clean though.

I have started making my coffee at night before bed. All I have to do in the morning is plug in the pot and I am ready to go. While my coffee is brewing, I get to work cleaning my house & getting my kids ready for school.

I Start out by filling the kitchen sink with hot water.

While the kitchen sink is filling, toss a load of laundry in the wash.

While I am getting my kids ready for school, I eat breakfast and decide what rooms to work on for the morning and wash a few dishes.

Once the kids are off to school I have about an hour to clean my house, anything not done in that hour will have to wait until tomorrow.

The laundry is done washing by now, so toss that in the dryer. If you wash a load of laundry everyday, there will be a load of laundry to be folded. I like to fold the laundry and come back to put it away at the very end of cleaning the other rooms in my house.

Quickly grab a broom and sweep the floors. If you do this everyday there really is not much to sweep up and does not take very long. If you have young kids crawling around on the floor, it is important to keep the floors clean.

Grab an empty laundry basket and walk around the house grabbing toys, books or other things that are not in the correct room. As you move from room to room, put the things in the basket away.

I have 4 boys, so my bathroom gets cleaned almost everyday. Fill the sink with hot soapy water, wipe down the sink, tub and toilet and you are done.

I usually pick one or two rooms to vacuum every couple of days, but not everyday. If I have to pick just one, I usually vacuum the rug under the dinning room table. It is amazing how quickly crumbs accumulate under the table with 4 young kids!

I usually pick just a few pieces of furniture to polish every couple of days, but not everyday. I will sometimes just choose to polish just the things on top of the furniture. For example, I will only wipe down picture frames and not the furniture.

At about 10 minutes to 9, think about what you want to have accomplished for the day and if it is not done quickly finish it up. Do not start anything new. Now is the time to quickly put some clothes away, put dishes away, wipe down the microwave or refrigerator.

You are done! Go play with the kids, get to work on Homeschool, take a nap (hahaaha) or head out the door for the day.

As long as you have just one hour a day you can stay on top of things. This does not include big cleaning projects or changing out of seasonal clothing. This is simply a way to keep from getting overwhelmed. The main thing, is to commit to spending an hour everyday, and no more than an hour.



15 comments:

Maura said...

Wow! You are a woman with a plan! I just kinda clean as I go but it definatly is not this well organized. I like the hour and no more idea.

MannMom3 said...

Oh Lisa..All I want to do in the morning is drink my coffee and and read blogs or blog or read the internet..I wish I had your kind of motivation!!!

The (Un)Experienced Mom said...

Great tips! I'll keep that in mind for when I am off "maternity leave" .... currently on "maternity leave" from cleaning my house! ;-) I wrote a similar post about the "Undomesticated Goddess' Tips." I'll have to try some of yours though!

Tamara
www.theunexperiencedmom.com

Tyler said...

Great idea! I think I will give this a shot and see if it will at least keep me from feeling out of control. I obsess about the house and then when the day is done feel like I have missed alot of time with the little one. When in reality the house work will always be there but the baby wont. Thanks for the idea :)

inadvertent farmer said...

It seems I spend an hour just on my kitchen...I will have to try this and if it works I will be forever in your debt and your biggest fan!

Erin @ Closing Time said...

This is so impressive. I am trying to get into a better routine of cleaning, but am finding it hard to get a system established. This sounds like something I could do! Thanks!! :)

Jamie H said...

I like the idea of an hour a day! I usually let my house get out of controll to the point where I'm overwhelmed to clean it and it takes an entire day or two. I could take just an hour and clean a room a day!
Now, can I be that limiting with my computer time so that I can make an hour a day to clean ;)

Tammy said...

Hi! Are you a flybaby too?

All American x5 said...

I have a similar routine but mine is after school time.

I do what i can during the morning but in the mornings my creative juices flow so that's when I write.

Great tips though!!

Lisa Curcio said...

Yes, it is all about keeping this down to 1 hour a day. But, at the same time, this is not casual puttering around the house. This is as fast as I can, running around non-stop (except for the occasional Quick internet break lol!) but mostly its go go go for 1 hour. While I am cleaning, I think about articles I want to write, come up with blog posts, think about the big organizing projects, think about homeschool lessons, all sorts of things, I plan my day as I go on auto pilot running around the house.

Very seldom does the kitchen ever get completely clean, really that never happens, there are always a few dishes in the sink and drying on the counter. With 5 kids, there is just no way I ever try to completely clean the kitchen.

I have heard of Flylady, but never tried it out, I heard great things about that site.

The thing that really makes a huge difference is the quick sweeping, if it is done often, it only takes a minute. Same thing with the bathroom, a quick wipe down every day keeps it simple.

Everything got out of control for me when Postpartum Depression was creeping in. The more it crept in, the more out of control it got. I have gotten back into this routine and I am plugging away at getting my house back in order, 1 hour at a time. I am not thinking about how overwhelmed I am and what is still left, I am thinking about how much I can get done in 1 short hour and how good it feels.

Kat @ measuring my life in l-o-v-e said...

I agree once you start it's easy to keep it up. I split my stuff 30 mins in the morning when getting ready and the rest waits for nap time.

Kate said...

I was going to ask if you were a FlyBaby! If you should find that you have extra minutes, by ALL MEANS come spend them here ;-)

Helga said...

I am not as organized about my cleaning schedule as you are, I just clean as I go but I feel like all I do is clean....all day, every day!!! I think I am going to try this out.

What is Flylady and Flybaby???

Stefenie said...

Great idea! I too believe that spending just a little bit of time each day does help to keep from getting buried alive underneath the mess! LOL!!!

Stef, Ryan, Wyatt and Logan
http://www.whenlifehandsyouabrokenheart.blogspot.com

Brianne said...

You are so right, keeping on top of it makes it easier. I don't think I am as good as you but I try to do most in the am too. I have to be up and get hubby lunch and Madison off to school. But if I want any chance of having a normal day, I get what needs to get done early. Even if I miss a day, I get quickly overwhelmed. Great post!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin